Saturday, October 9, 2010

How to Eat Pupusas-The Proper Way.

Last weekend, I went to San Francisco with some relatives, and as something normal, we had pupusas at a Salvadoran restaurant on Mission st. The place was packed with people, and I noticed that a good number of people was eating pupusas. It surprised me that the people who was eating pupusas were using a fork and a knife. WTF!! ??
It was kind of surprising for me. I was born, raised and lived in El Salvador for 14 years. Every Salvadoran knows that the proper way to eat pupusas is using the bare hands. When our food was served, my relatives also used forks and knives. I started to eat my pupusas with my hands. My relatives and some people who were at the neighboring tables practically looked over with an admired look, just because I was eating my pupusas "in the proper way" with my hands.

Theres always an exception to the rule, yet that wasn't the occasion.
All I could think in that moment was:
"INCULTOS!!!!! Si siguen siendo indios Pipiles de Izalco, majes. Que esten aqui no quieren decir que son gringos. ennnndejos!!"
I knew that most of the people who was at the place were Salvadorans, I could tell for their accent. I mean, they were born there. I know if they were in El Salvador and start to eat Pupusas with a fork and a knife, they are going to be the ones who will get weird looks. Or in an extreme case - maybe even "puteadas"
Ok now, if you get to a Salvadoran restaurant and order pupusas, this is how you should eat them.

1.- On top of the pupusas, or on one side you may put the pickled cabbage slaw. (Curtido)
2.- Then add the red sauce on top, or wherever you want to put it.
3.- Rip in to the pupusas with your bare hands.
4.- Take a piece accompanied with pickled cabbage and red sauce.
5.- Eat it.
6.- Repeat steps 3 to 5.
7.- Enjoy
P.S. Never ever use fork and a knife.
P.S.S Watch out, they are usually hot when served.

Proper way!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally agree. Would like to see these people eating pizza, tacos, etc. with fork... SMH