Monday, September 20, 2010

Trip to the "Legion of Honor" Museum Part I




I love photography, and I love it even more when its combine with cars. In the begining of this semester I decided to take a digital photography class. I was excited about the class because it also involved playing/working with photoshop. But all my excitement changed because the photoshops sessions are just too boring and long, and I have to add that there are quite a few students in the class who don't even know how to use a computer-won't reveal, ages, or gender.

The class, in which I'm in requires a lot of dedication, like the rest of any college class, but this one demands me to move around a lot. And since I'm carless it's hard for me to move around to nice locations and snap some good shots. Transportation is being an issue, and with that said, I remember when the teacher said that we were going to a field trip, and that we needed to figure out the way to get there. Indeed I did, yet I should've chosen the people with whom I carpool'ed with the day of the field trip carefully. We got lost, and never got to our destination.

That day I knew that I needed to hit a local museum by myself, and had to be quick since my paper was due in 3 days. I knew of couple local museums. Not so local, they are in the city. I had two options, The Young Museum, and The Legion of Honor. I decided to go for the last one. I remember that my friend Carlos Almendarez had visited The Legion of Honor, and God I loved the pictures that he took of the outside and the art in the inside.
On the night before going to what was going to be a nice trip, I decided to text my partner in crime Laura to see if she wanted to go with me, and luckily me she agreed. Laura took care of finding our way to the museum and food.


The following day we met at the local transit center, saw a couple unique/epic things, like a car going wrong way in a street that is 4 lanes wide with full traffic coming on his way. That guy failed.
Anyways, we both were looking forward to having a nice day, even though both had headaches.
We took a total of six buses, 3 to get to the museum and 3 on our way back. One of the buses smelled like shit, human feces, whatever you want to call it. I realized the huge contrast between the Marin County buses and the S.F. buses. People in S.F. just don't give a fuck, in every single thing.
The temperature drastically change as well, I think that made our headaches even worse. I had no idea on which bus to take, I just knew on which cardinal point we needed to go; on the other hand Laura was a pro about the bus situation, we even got to save around $6 thanks to her urban skills.
After we got off the last bus, which took us to our destination, we walked around 3 blocks. On that portion of our trip there we walked for a while behind a guy who was smoking weed. That is another factor that made our headaches get worse. Three blocks after, one huge hill and 10 minutes later we had arrived to our destination.
The museum has a high quality architecture, with out mentioning the attention to detail and art that is in it. I took so many pictures of the outside. It was so nice, too bad the fog was too heavy. Otherwise I would had enjoyed it even more.
This are just some pics of the outside. The rest will come with the second part of the trip.




Sephia version


Closer look.





Me, looking up at the roof and pillars.



Laura looking up at the statue.


Me for reason, looking up, again.

"Legion of Honor" and no, I don't know French.

The door that led me to discover a part of myself.

No comments: